Owl Hat for Savanna
After seeing the pics of my first completed Owls hat, my friend Savanna commissioned me to make one for her. I asked her to chip in for the cost of supplies, and she graciously offered to pay me a bit more for my time. We discussed what kind of modifications or special additions she wanted, and she requested the same yarn (Wool-Ease worsted weight Blue Mist), with small black button eyes and a pom pom on top.
Excited, but nervous about tackling two unknowns (sewing items onto knitting and creating pom poms) – I procured the supplies last weekend, but wanted to finish up the Dog Sweater before I started another Owls hat.
I began constructing the hat on Friday night in a knitting party with my friend Addie, worked on it over Saturday and Sunday, and finished it up this afternoon while watching a marathon of the Dog Whisperer. I modified the pattern with six rows of purls between the initial ribbing, and six rows of purling before starting the decreases at the top.
In order to understand exactly how the pom poms are constructed – I watched several instructional youtube videos. Unfortunately, none of them had instructions on how to work with the Lion Brand Pom Pom Maker I’d purchased, and the pictorials on the back weren’t exactly assuring.
After opening the package and studying the makers for awhile…I determined they were not going to work for me. I would have to measure the yarn out before to wind it around, and there is no slit or opening to easily feed the yarn through. Honestly, more cumbersome than the product is worth. And this other blogger agrees with me.
Not exactly sure what I’m going to do with them at this point. They’d make nice miniature frisbees, I suppose. Instead of constructing any other products or purchasing anything else…I wrapped the yarn around my hand until I got the desired thickness – just as this video shows.
Cheap, easy and terribly effective. I feel a bit silly now about purchasing a product when there is a free and easy alternative, but – I learned my lesson AND gained a new skill.
Once I had wrapped the yarn around my hand – I slipped it off my fingers and tied an already cut piece of yarn around the middle. Then I snipped it down the middle of the two sets of folds, and shook it out. Voila – a satisfactory pom pom.
Finished closing up the hat, wove in the ends and strung the pom through the top, tying it off. It looks pretty freaking awesome.
Next – I tested sewing the button eyes on. I was nervous that the sewing would slip through the holes in the yarn…but surprisingly it sewed up just as it would on any regular piece of fabric. The rest of the 18 buttons sewed on with ease and the hat is now completed.
I’m hoping she likes it. 🙂