San Diego Comic Con 2010: The Schedule
Diagnosis: Comic Con = Too Much Good.
There is no way humanly possible to do or see all that one would like at this event. Despite this setback, we have cobbled together what we’d like to see, and surprise, surprise, most of it isn’t about comic books at all.
No wait, why isn’t that surprising? Because Comic Con is almost not really about comic books anymore. It’s largely dominated by Film and TV, along with video games and whatever other popular culture elements I cannot fathom at the moment.
And that, sadly, is fine by me. I’ve got enough comic book goodness up here in the Pacific Northwest to sate me. What I want from SDCC, as honestly as I can describe it – is to see some celebrities up close and personal and watch exclusive clips and get some free shit and soak up some sun and record as much of it as I possibly can.
I’ll be updating often on this blog and the Tiny Heroes Twitter account for anyone who is interested.
You can also look at My Schedule (along with alternate panels) here.
Wednesday July 21, Preview Night
– Walking the exhibit floor, getting freebies from booths, etc.
Thursday July 22 – Hall H
– 10am-11am = Megamind
– 11:15-12:45 = Tron
– 1:00-2:00 = Battle Los Angeles/Salt
– 2:15-3:15 = Red
– 3:30-4:30 = Visionaries (Joss Whedon/JJ Abrams)
-4:45-5:45 = Expendables
– 6:00-7:00 = Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
– 7:30-8:30 = Dr. Horrible’s Sing-A-Long Blog
Friday July 23- Ballroom 20
– 11:30-12:30 = Caprica
– 3:00-4:00 = The Joss Whedon Experience
– 4:00-5:00 = Girls Who Kick Ass
– 5:15-6:15 = True Blood
Saturday July 24
– 11:45-1:45 = Green Lantern, Sucker Punch, Deathly Hallows
– 4:45-5:45 = Paul and Cowboys & Aliens
– 6:00-7:00 = Thor and Captain America
– 7:15-8:45 = Kevin Smith
– 10-12:00am = Kevin Smith presents “Cop Out”
Sunday July 25
– 11:00am-12:00pm = Women of Marvel
– More walking the exhibit hall floor
– A personal conflict is how early to arrive on Thursday and Friday morning to line up for the designated halls/ballrooms/panels. Some people are talking camping overnight. Others are saying 5am (which is like camping overnight). I dunno…it’s my vacation. The only one I’ll have for quite a while. The idea of late nights and early mornings for five days is ghastly. I’m a nerd…but a functional one. I would like front row seats, but am I willing to sacrifice personal happiness and those of my fellow con-goers to satisfy the lust to ogle celebrities and screening footage? Perhaps not…
– The only thing I’m worried about at this point is that The Walking Dead panel I REALLY want to get into is at the same time as the Caprica panel I also REALLY want to see. There might be some leeway if I can ditch out of Ballroom 20 for that hour, but the chances of doing so are pretty slim (to none). Dan and I might have to split up at this point. If we can secure seats early in the morning, then Dan can hold them while I line up for and view the precious Walking Dead.
– We’ve not built in any time to get autographs. Autographs or professional pictures I am leery about. Mostly because they cost $$ and mostly because I’m feeling miserly when it comes to the convention itself. If I’m spending any $$ it will be on comic books. Dammit.
But yes, for those NOT charging for autographs or what-have-you…I would like a chance to meet them in person and chat.
– Another lofty goal is snapping photos of comic book tattoos, which isn’t built well into my schedule at all. *le sigh* Not sure when all this madness will occur. Really thought I was going to spend more time on the convention floor.
– And finally, there are a few comic book scribes and artists that don’t ever come out the Pacific Northwest way which I’d like to hit up for signatures or chatting. Most specifically Robert Kirkman.
– There will also be evening parties and events…but those are looking even more hazy. I envision at least one night lounging at the hotel pool or on the beach with a mixed drink in hand. It’s a vision…
Mayhaps some of you can help me with the Walking Dead vs Caprica decision? Or, if you want me to cover something in particular in Hall H and Ballroom 20 on Thurs/Fri, let me know. I’ll probably be sitting through panels for Bones and The Big Bang Theory so there might be an opportunity for pics, video and/or recaps if people REALLY want them.
And what of comic books? Anyone YOU think I should see? Something you think I should do? Let me know!