Brienne of Tarth Costume: Part Three
Some of the final pieces of the Brienne of Tarth costume came in the mail on Wednesday. I was exuberant until I opened the package and realized that at least one of the items was not going to work.
At first I had hope for the floppy chest armor…if I just cut it in the right places, that might decrease the weird stomach bulge happening because of the poorly designed tying system.
By Wednesday evening I’d abandoned the idea of the armor working and was back to bouncing around all the internet sites hoping against hope that I could find a cheap alternative that would arrive in time.
Then, the DH and I recalled some armor at Party City which had actually looked decent. Unfortunately, it’s a bronze color. Not to worry though – just had to bust out the spray paint and go to town.
THE CHEST ARMOR
Here is the chest piece BEFORE:
Here is the chest piece AFTER:
I applied the spray paint with a cloth method from this video tutorial. I didn’t use a black matte base, because the armor already had a lot of black mixed with the bronze. And I used more of a dabbing motion than any kind of sweeping. The whole process took about 30 minutes or so.
THE ARMOR SKIRT
Was also mildly disappointing because it only ended up being a “half-skirt” which is fine, because the cape will be covering up my backside anyway. But really – they couldn’t design a silver armor skirt that just, you know – wrapped around the entire body? Coulda used velcro and overlapping. *smh*
But it fits with the rest of the costume pieces so well:
As you can see – we also modified the cape (using good old safety pins) without sewing. Woot! We will probably attach it to the chest armor the day of (otherwise it pulls on my neck and chokes a bit).
CHAIN MAIL SHIRT
This was the biggest struggle of them all – finding a shirt that would work underneath the armor and look somewhat like it could be mail. I really didn’t think this was going to happen, until I visited a local Goodwill (my fourth such visit in the last month) and scouted out the perfect shirt.
It’s a cream-colored, heavier material that drapes similarly to mail and has a bit of shine to it.
Check it out:
We used the same spray paint from the chest armor and just applied it in light, sweeping strokes to the shirt. This is about the fifth or sixth coat right here, and I think it’s looking pretty much how I’d like it to. I have some yarn I still intend to knit the hood with, so I’ll do a comparison and may have to apply a few more coats.
That’s about it for now. I do have pictures of myself wearing most of the costume items assembled/crafted thus far…
Here are a few different angles to give you the flavor of how it’s all coming together:
This is without the chain mail shirt (just a grey long-sleeved job) AND the knitted hood.
Looking forward to the final unveiling!